- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance. This is for
eligible taxpayers who generally earn $56,000 or less, persons with
disabilities and limited English-speaking taxpayers.
- Tax Counseling for the Elderly. This is mainly for people age 60 or older due to special attention on tax issues unique to seniors.
Here are some benefits of using these programs:
- They're free. IRS certified volunteers help taxpayers complete their taxes without any fees.
- They are conveniently located. Sites are generally
located in community and neighborhood centers, libraries, schools,
shopping malls and other places. These sites are open from February
through April. Some sites are open through October.
- Filing is safe and secure. VITA and TCE provide
free electronic filing and e-file is the safest, most accurate way to
file a tax return. Taxpayers can combine e-file with direct deposit for faster refunds.
- Volunteers are trained on tax law. Volunteers help people get all the tax benefits for which they are eligible.
- Assistance is also available in languages other than English. This is available at some VITA and TCE sites.
- Many military bases have VITA sites. Volunteers can help with military tax topics including benefits for those serving in combat zones.